09 July 2021

hsk 5 lesson 27 with pinyin and English translation

Lesson 27   下棋   Playing chess


Xià qí
下棋   
Playing chess


Wǒ fùqīn shì yī wèi xiàngqí jiàoliàn.

我父亲是一位象棋教练。

My father is a chess coach.


Nà yī nián, wǒ dàxué fàngjià huí jiā, 

那一年,我大学放假回家,

That year, when I came home from university, 


fùqīn yào gēn wǒ xià qí, wǒ gāoxìng de dāyìngle.

父亲要跟我下棋,我高兴地答应了。

my father wanted to play chess with me, and I happily agreed.


Fùqīn ràng wǒ xiān zǒu sān bù.

父亲让我先走三步。

My father asked me to take three steps first.


Bù dào sān fēnzhōng, wǒ de qízǐ sǔnshī dàbàn, 

不到三分钟,我的棋子损失大半,

In less than three minutes, most of my chess pieces were lost, 


qípán shàng kōngkōng de, zhǐ shèng xià jǐ gèzile.

棋盘上空空的,只剩下几个子了。

and there were only a few pieces left on the chessboard.


Méi bànfǎ, yǎnzhēngzhēng kànzhe fùqīn “jiāngjūn”, wǒ shūle.

没办法,眼睁睁看着父亲“将军”,我输了。

No way, I lost when I watched my father "General".


Wǒ bù fúqì, shuō: 

我不服气,说:

I was not convinced, and said: 


“Zhè cì yùnqì bù hǎo, zàilái!” 

“这次运气不好,再来!”

"I have bad luck this time, come again!" 


Dì èr jú yòu shūle,

第二局又输了,

I lost the second game again, 


“zhè cì méi fāhuī hǎo, wǒmen zàilái”! 

“这次没发挥好,我们再来”!

"I didn't play well this time, let's come again"!  


Jǐ jú xiàlái, jīběn shàng dū shì bù dào 10 fēnzhōng wǒ jiù bài xià zhèn lái.

几局下来,基本上都是不到10分钟我就败下阵来。

After a few games, I basically lost in less than 10 minutes.


Wǒ yǒuxiē huīxīn.

我有些灰心。

I was a little discouraged.


Fùqīn kàn kàn wǒ shuō:

父亲看看我说:

My father looked at me and said: 


“Nǐ chūxué qí, shū shì zhèngcháng de. 

“你初学棋,输是正常的。

"You are a beginner at chess, and it is normal to lose. 


Dànshì nǐ yào zhīdao shū zài shénme dìfāng, yào xīqǔ jiàoxùn. 

但是你要知道输在什么地方,要吸取教训。

But you have to know where to lose and learn your lesson. 


Fǒuzé, nǐ jiù zài xià shàng 10 nián, yě wèibì néng yíng.”

否则,你就再下上10年,也未必能赢。”

Otherwise, you will not be able to win after playing for another 10 years."


“Wǒ zhīdao, wǒ jìshù méi nǐ hǎo, jīngyàn yě bùzú.”

“我知道,我技术没你好,经验也不足。”

"I know, my technique is not as good as yours, and I don't have enough experience."


“Zhè zhǐshì cì yào yīnsù, bùshì zuì zhòngyào de.”

“这只是次要因素,不是最重要的。”

"This is just a secondary factor, not the most important."


“Nà zuì zhòngyào de shì shénme?”

“那最重要的是什么?”

"Then what is the most important thing?"


Wǒ qíguài de wèn.

我奇怪地问。

I asked strangely.


“Zuì zhòngyào de wèntí zàiyú nǐ xīntài bùduì.

“最重要的问题在于你心态不对。

"The most important problem is that you have the wrong mentality.


Nǐ bùgòu zhēnxī nǐ de qízǐ.”

你不够珍惜你的棋子。”

You don't cherish your chess pieces enough."


“Zěnme bù zhēnxī ya? 

“怎么不珍惜呀?

"How not to cherish? 


Wǒ měi zǒu yībù, dōu xiǎng bàntiān.”

我每走一步,都想半天。”

Every time I take a step, I think about it for a long time."


Wǒ fǒurèn shuō.

我否认说。

I deny that.


“Nà shì hòulái.

“那是后来。

"That was later.


Kāishǐ nǐ shì zhèyàng ma?

开始你是这样吗?

Are you like this in the beginning?


Wǒ zǐxì guāncháguò, 

我仔细观察过,

I have carefully observed that 


nǐ sān fēn zhī èr de qízǐ shì zài qián sān fēn zhī yī de shíjiān shīqù de.

你三分之二的棋子是在前三分之一的时间失去的。

two-thirds of your chess pieces were lost in the first third of the time.


Zhè qíjiān nǐ hǎoxiàng hěn yǒu bǎwò, 

这期间你好像很有把握,

During this period, you seem to be very sure. 


xià qí shí bùjiǎsīsuǒ, ná qǐlái jiù zǒu, 

下棋时不假思索,拿起来就走,

You don't think about it when you play chess, and you just pick it up and leave. 


shīqùle yě bù juédé kěxí.

失去了也不觉得可惜。

It's not a pity if you lose it.


Yīnwèi nǐ juédé qízǐ hěnduō, shī yī liǎng gè bù suàn shénme.

因为你觉得棋子很多,失一两个不算什么。

Because you think there are a lot of chess pieces, losing one or two is nothing.


Hòu sān fēn zhī èr de shíjiān, 

后三分之二的时间,

In the last two-thirds of the time, 


nǐ yòu fànle xiāngfǎn de cuòwù: 

你又犯了相反的错误:

you made the opposite mistake: 


Duì qízǐ guòyú zhēnxī, 

对棋子过于珍惜,

Too much cherishment of the chess pieces, 


měi zǒu yībù dōu guòyú jǐnshèn, 

每走一步都过于谨慎,

too cautious in every move, 


yīgè qízǐ yě bùxiǎng shī, fǎn'ér yīgè yīgè dōu shīqùle.”

一个棋子也不想失,反而一个一个都失去了。”

not wanting to lose a chess piece, but to lose all of them.  "


Shuō dào zhè, fùqīn tíng xiàlái, 

说到这,父亲停下来,

Speaking of this, my father stopped, 


bǎ qízǐ chóngxīn zài qípán shàng bǎihǎo, 

把棋子重新在棋盘上摆好,

put the chess pieces on the board again, 


tái qǐtóu, kànzhe wǒ, 

抬起头,看着我,

raised his head, looked at me, 


wèn: “Zhè shì yī pán dài xià de qí.

问:“这是一盘待下的棋。

and asked, "This is a chess game to be played.


Wǒ wèn nǐ, xià qí de jīběn yuánzé shì shénme?”

我问你,下棋的基本原则是什么?”

I ask you, what are the basic principles of chess?  "


Wǒ xiǎng yě méi xiǎng, tuōkǒu'érchū:

我想也没想,脱口而出:

Without even thinking about it, I blurted out: 


“Yíng a!” “Nà shì mùdì.”

“赢啊!” “那是目的。”

"Win!" "That's the purpose."


Fùqīn yòng zébèi de yǎnguāng kànle wǒ yīyǎn,

父亲用责备的眼光看了我一眼,

My father glanced at me reproachfully, 


“zhìyú yuánzé, shì yào kǎolǜ déshī.

“至于原则,是要考虑得失。

"As for the principle, we have to consider gains and losses.


Yǒu dé bìrán yǒu shī, yǒu shī cái huì yǒu dé.

有得必然有失,有失才会有得。

There must be losses if there is gains, and gains if there are losses.


Měi zǒu yībù, nǐ shìxiān dōu yīnggāi xiǎng qīngchǔ: 

每走一步,你事先都应该想清楚:

Every step you take, you should think clearly in advance: 


Wèile yíngdé shénme, nǐ yuànyì shīqù shénme, zhèyàng cái kěnéng yíng.

为了赢得什么,你愿意失去什么,这样才可能赢。

what you are willing to lose in order to win, so that you can win.


Kěxí, dà bùfèn rén dōu xiàng nǐ zhèyàng, 

可惜,大部分人都像你这样,

It's a pity that most people are like you. 


kāishǐ bù kǎolǜ déshī, 

开始不考虑得失,

At first they don't think about gains and losses. 


děngdào hòulái shīqù dé duōle, yòu kāishǐ shěbudé, 

等到后来失去得多了,又开始舍不得,

When they lose a lot later, they start to reluctant. 


hòuguǒ jiùshì lǚ xià lǚ bài.

后果就是屡下屡败。

The result is repeated failures.


Qíshí bùjǐn shì xià qí, rénshēng yěshì rúcǐ a!”

其实不仅是下棋,人生也是如此啊!”

In fact, it is not only playing chess, but also life!  "


Gǎibiān zì “jīnrì zhōngxuéshēng”, zuòzhě: Línxī

改编自《今日中学生》,作者:林夕

Adapted from "Students Today", author: Lin Xi


Full Translation

Playing chess

My father is a chess coach. That year, when I came home from university, my father wanted to play chess with me, and I happily agreed. My father asked me to take three steps first.In less than three minutes, most of my chess pieces were lost, and there were only a few pieces left on the chessboard. No way, I lost when I watched my father "General".

I was not convinced, and said: "I have bad luck this time, come again!" I lost the second game again, "I didn't play well this time, let's come again"!  After a few games, I basically lost in less than 10 minutes. I was a little discouraged.

My father looked at me and said: "You are a beginner at chess, and it is normal to lose. But you have to know where to lose and learn your lesson. Otherwise, you will not be able to win after playing for another 10 years." "I know, my technique is not as good as yours, and I don't have enough experience."

"This is just a secondary factor, not the most important." "Then what is the most important thing?" I asked strangely. "The most important problem is that you have the wrong mentality. You don't cherish your chess pieces enough."

"How not to cherish? Every time I take a step, I think about it for a long time." I deny that. "That was later. Are you like this in the beginning? I have carefully observed that two-thirds of your chess pieces were lost in the first third of the time. During this period, you seem to be very sure. You don't think about it when you play chess, and you just pick it up and leave. It's not a pity if you lose it.

Because you think there are a lot of chess pieces, losing one or two is nothing. In the last two-thirds of the time, you made the opposite mistake: Too much cherishment of the chess pieces, too cautious in every move, not wanting to lose a chess piece, but to lose all of them." Speaking of this, my father stopped, put the chess pieces on the board again, raised his head, looked at me, and asked, "This is a chess game to be played. I ask you, what are the basic principles of chess? "

Without even thinking about it, I blurted out: "Win!" "That's the purpose." My father glanced at me reproachfully, "As for the principle, we have to consider gains and losses. There must be losses if there is gains, and gains if there are losses.

Every step you take, you should think clearly in advance: what you are willing to lose in order to win, so that you can win. It's a pity that most people are like you. At first they don't think about gains and losses. When they lose a lot later, they start to reluctant. The result is repeated failures. In fact, it is not only playing chess, but also life! "

Adapted from "Students Today", author: Lin Xi

hsk 5 lesson 27 audio



No comments:

Post a Comment

hsk 5 上 lesson 1 with pinyin and English translation

Lesson 1   爱的细节  Details of Love ài de xìjié  爱的细节 Details of love